Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Songs That Saved Your Life

There was a feature running a couple of months ago on 6Music called Songs That Saved Your Life -- part of a wider BBC mental health awareness thing I think, and very interesting.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that a song had saved my life, but every now and again one comes along that saves my sanity, my soul, my sense of humour.

Yesterday was a lousy lousy day at work (I seem to be having too many of these at the moment). I had my headphones on and my head down when suddenly Liz Kershaw said "I can't be arsed to go and see Bob Dylan live anymore, he just murders his own songs. But on record, now that's a different matter..." and she played Love Minus Zero.

I turned it up, pushed my chair back, shut my eyes and smiled.

When I opened them again the answerphone was flashing, the email was blinking and someone was standing anxiously in the doorway, but for three minutes there something was saved.

joella

No comments: