Sunday, August 14, 2005

Retro kettle

Sundays down the launderette are getting to be quite the thing -- buy a paper, have a quick drink in the pub while the washing's going round, stop off at Cowley Road's various delis for pickled vegetables and posh pasta. One drawback is that I'm not sure Ecover can hold its own in these circumstances. We may have to buy powder that kicks more arse.

Boiling water in a pan, on the other hand, has no appeal at all. Coffee made with it tastes like it's been spewed from the bowels of the earth. So I have purchased another kettle.

new kettle

It was more painful a process than I had predicted. Our last kettle was stainless steel, but to replace it would have cost £60. *How much?* I didn't even know kettles got that expensive. You can get plastic ones for £15, but they look horrible and how long do they last? The last but one kettle was plastic and it rotted. And then, in Boswells (of course, thanks to L for sending me there) I found the retro kettle. Not retro in a premium marketed as retro sort of way, but retro in still making them like they have since the 70s sort of way.

It's shiny, it's metal, it's a beautiful shape, you plug a cord into in (which always feels safer to me than this cordless business) and it's almost exactly like the first kettle I ever learnt to boil. It was £29.99, and I am very happy with it. My housemates really don't seem to care either way, so it's a good job it was me who went out to choose it.

joella

No comments: