Friday, August 19, 2005

Grumpy old Buerk

The middle class world is full of mildly disappointed women who fell somewhat for Michael Buerk's crinkly eyes as he delivered bad news nightly. But now it turns out he was an unreconstructed old school chauvinist all along, or, as Anna Ford put it, a 'miserable old bat'.

But is it interesting? Why should we care? Well, because he's also spectacularly wrong. This came through in an email from one of my colleagues:

I think it's highly ironic ... that Buerk's comments as reported in the Scottish press ran beside the headlines all this week of the cost to the public sector of equal pay claims [from women] - the conclusion of the two presumably is that women rule the world but do so for 40% less money than men did. A bargain I would have thought...


Couldn't have put it better myself.

joella

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more with your comments about that Burk!

Incidentally, I think my boyfriend is your cousin (he recognised the photo of your reflection in the kettle - but not the main one!).

I am thinking of starting a blog and he showed me yours which I'm really impressed with!

Can you guess which cousin?

(He's useless at medicine, hates cats and looks extremely old for his age)

Have you got any tips on doing them? We were thinking of having a webiste too called 'we'regoingtohaveapartywhenthatcherdies' but they don't allow apostrophies.

Jo said...

Hello Anna -- I am fairly short of cousins so I think I can work out which one you are referring to...

I suspect yours might not be the only party when Thatcher dies. In fact it might be worth stocking up the booze now as the off licences might run out.

My best blogging tip is really to start simple and keep it up. This is joella's third incarnation, the first one was very basic indeed... get my email address off P if you want to ask anything.