Sunday, August 21, 2005

Early adopter wobbles

I've been doing this internet thing for nearly eleven years now. I like to tell people that I knew a good thing when I saw it, but really it was just right place right time.

And loads of things have just got better and better -- think gmail, think blogging, think amazon, think online digital radio, think bbc.co.uk, think wikipedia, think photo sharing. We can create, we can access, we can communicate. It's a beautiful thing.

But I'm struggling with iTunes. And my iPod. In principle: near perfect. Your CD collection and extra downloaded tunes managed and manipulated through one interface and loaded in interesting, flexible ways onto different devices (players, CDs, websites) for different purposes. But it ain't working like that -- iTunes is awkward and difficult to customise, at least on a PC, and there's this nasty fascist thing where you can load music *onto* your iPod but not off it. At least, not easily. This wasn't the way it was meant to be. I am a decent and law abiding person and I do not wish to be locked down by corporate America.

I like iPodder though.

joella

No comments: