Friday, September 03, 2004

Yo! Mo'Fo Ho!

We've got C the carpenter round with his building hat on. This is *great*, we like him and he seems to be just as meticulous outside as in. But he likes listening to 1Xtra, and, y'know, I don't.

There is some good stuff on it, but a lot of it is just kind of rubbish. Bumpy grindy R'n'B has always made me feel a bit queasy... it reminds me of when I worked in an office with a graphic designer who listened to nothing else, and by dint of his size and belligerence imposed it on everyone else as well. I once went in to ask him to change a headline and he was gyrating gently to a song which went 'I can go deep if you want me, I can go deep if you need me'. NO! I do not want you. Just fix the headline and turn this shite off.

And then there's all the stuff with revolting misogynist or homophobic lyrics. Get lost Beenie Man. I don't want to be part of your world. And we are not 'females'. We are women. OK?

And *then* there's the swearing. Now, I swear as much as the next person, in fact quite often more than the next person, but what's the point in swearing all the way through your record if that means half of it will be censored out so you sound like you've got a speech impediment? And radio-friendly versions are JUST AS STUPID. Oooh, aren't you big, you swear a lot but not in front of the kids or the BBC. Jeez.

But the last song was quite groovy reggae so I feel better now. I think I'll go make some coffee for C and me.

joella

No comments: