Sunday, September 12, 2004

Patiotastic

This weekend, we have mostly been laying a patio.

More precisely, M has been laying it, as he is both stronger than I am and more fastidious. I have been mixing mortar. Loads of it. Getting on, in fact, for half a tonne of it.

This is because the stone we bought is real stone, and needs a full mortar bed rather than blobs on each corner and one in the middle. This is because real stone is not flat.

I wore gloves this time. But my back is killing me. I got round this last night by going out with some of my esteemed colleagues and drinking a lot of wine (good muscle relaxant, alcohol, I am told). Tonight I am just walking round like an old woman in pyjamas and a shawl, saying 'ow' a lot.

And it's raining and dark so it's hard to tell what it looks like, but I think we will end up being pretty proud of ourselves. In a middle class home-ownerish sort of way, I suppose. Still. The most enormous DIY project I can ever imagine undertaking neareth completion.

joella

No comments: