Wednesday, September 22, 2004

I don't have anything to sell. What I do have is my bike and this absolute freedom to ride it wherever curiosity and speed demon take me to.

elena with radiation meter at amusement park in ChernobylBig up to Mr B for directing me to the website of Elena, Ukrainian biker chick and ultimate ambassador for the argument that the English language doesn't have to be your mother tongue for you to be able to use it to great effect.

In Ukrainian language Chernobyl is a name for a grass, wormwood (absinth). This word scares holly bejesus out of people here.

She rides her motorbike into Chernobyl, takes photos and a radiation meter and tells the story of the place -- using few words, but every one worth reading.

24 hours later postscript. Elena is so good, I am wondering if in fact she is actually an artist not a biker ... her English is too perfectly kooky, her passion for motorbikes is too perfectly described, her story is too well told, the end note of kindergarten photos followed by neat contact details too much like a signature.

But why not? She may just be a natural story teller. Why be sceptical? Post modern life is rubbish.

joella

No comments: