Monday, September 20, 2004

Rock. On.

I hope when I am 50 that I have as cool a party as M did. I suspect, however, that it is largely Different For Girls. But then, I have had many excellent birthday parties in my life, and I think this was pretty much his first. And possibly last, as impossible, I feel, to top.

The day started at 7.30, as we were expecting 20 people for breakfast. Having vowed not to drink on Friday night for this very reason, we nevertheless felt compelled to drink champagne with C the builder who really did nearly finish the patio, and then felt more compelled to just check the wine we'd bought for the night was ok really. So when I found myself mopping sand and gravel off the front path at 8 am in my orange pyjamas and Uggs, I did think 'How did I get here?'

However, a few Virgin Marys, some Bucks Fizz and a large portion of kedgeree later, I felt better. I only wish I'd had the time to change *out* of my pyjamas, as I am not sure they hit quite the right note.

We all had a little lie down after everyone had gone, but started evening preparations at about 4. It was a house party on a visionary scale, especially as we have quite a small house.

Highlights:

1. Turning the not quite finished patio to advantage: we filled the wheelbarrows with ice and used them as wine and beer coolers.

2. The Little Band (housemate S on vocals, C on sax, J on keyboards) playing on the half-a-patio, and all of us crowding outside to watch.

3. Finally reaping the full benefit of having an uncle who works for a fairy light company. This combined amazingly well with our home-sunk fence posts and washing line combo. I must buy that man a drink.

4. A vast bubbling pot of Sag Aloo and the biggest tower of poppadoms I've ever seen.

5. Glass hire. How civilised is that?

6. Gazebo. As above.

7. Fire bowl, plus plumbing S's inspired idea of burning herbs and spices for extra atmosphere. Though we now need more cloves and cinnamon, and the rosemary bush will never be the same again.

8. Friends who know how to party, how to dance, and when to go home.

9. A few who don't know when to go home, so keep you up till 5 and then remind you how glad you are that you don't smoke anymore by having to cycle to the 24 hour garage for tobacco.

10. Alternating sparkling wine with salty lime soda. Almost no hangover, though all motor functions still impaired.

There are photos, but I can't find the camera.
And I am very glad that in my youth someone taught me how to mop.

joella

No comments: