Tuesday, September 07, 2004

More malevolent subconscious

Calvin and his bikeI have the same kind of relationship with my bicycle as Calvin (left), only I am an adult and therefore it's all a bit more sinister (or pathetic, depending which way you look at it).

Last time I was persuaded into riding it to work, it had mysteriously sprung a puncture. Back in the shed it went, as I deliberately have no cycle maintenance skills. However M gallantly fixed it last weekend, and moreover carried it over the cement pit, wheelbarrow, crouching builder and any number of other barriers to present it to me this afternoon as I tried to argue that there was no way it could possibly be accessible in current circumstances.

So I rolled up my trouser leg and bravely set off. And lo, about half a mile from work the chain fell off, so I had to walk the rest of the way. If I ride it again tomorrow, I fear for my life. Just wanted to make that clear.

joella

No comments: