Friday, February 20, 2004

Yesterday's mamas

My favourite favourite song on the Scissor Sisters album is called Take Your Mama Out. It's up there on my soon-to-be-compiled-compilation of Some Of The Best Dance Tunes Ever (For 70s Children), which includes such lustrous numbers as Chain Reaction, Tainted Love, Unbelievable, Free Nelson Mandela, Freedom 90, The Only Way Is Up and Let Me Entertain You.

And it is, I think, a tune for 70s children, who became, in this country anyway, Thatcher's Teenagers. We gave the best years of our lives to Joy Division and Billy Bragg, and now it's time to reclaim disco.

It's (allegedly) about telling your mother that you're gay. Now, I am not gay, though some of my best friends etc. So I see it as being about having your mother accept you for yourself. And -- praise be, freak as I am -- I think my mother does.

So it's a song worth dancing to (and for) quite aside from the fact that's it's a rock arse tune in its own right.

Tonight we are quite exercised by mothers. My housemates have both lost theirs, many of my friends are becoming them, I am floating in a kind of distorted Britneyesque still have a mother won't likely become one ultra-modern reality.

Suitable songs for working this through:

Take your mama out -- Scissor Sisters
Always on the run -- Lenny Kravitz
Missionary man -- Eurythmics

Am sure there are others, but these will do for now.

joella



No comments: