Saturday, February 28, 2004

Women tend to be offered lower starting pay than men -- EOC equal pay campaign posterIn recovery

On Thursday I did something I haven't done for aaaaages: I went out and determinedly got far too drunk. There were some complex reasons for this, and they're pretty much all work-related, and therefore boring, but someone in my old team inadvertently (probably) plonking the salary spreadsheet on the network for anyone to see was a large part of it.

Why, I raged to M on the phone, is the person doing the job I used to do getting paid shedloads more than I was? (And still am, but that's not the issue). Well, said M, probably because he's a man.

He's probably right. So I raged a bit more to my sympathetic and gender-aware colleagues, bought a lot of beer on the way home, drank some of it, and went out to the pub with my friend A to rage yet more while drinking yet more.

It's not that I don't like him, he's a really nice guy and he does a difficult job very well. And it wasn't the only shock -- there are people getting paid more than he does who don't visibly deliver anything like as much value -- but it's the fucking unfairness of it. It's the same job, more or less. It was advertised at pretty much the same salary that I was on. Loads of people applied for it. What's going on? If the job's worth that much why didn't they pay me that much?

Friday was 'work your proper hours' day. I interpreted this as 'sit at your computer in a hungover funk and do nothing for your proper hours' day. The bastards.

joella

No comments: