Sunday, February 29, 2004

Lost in translation -- and just plain lost

So on Friday night, M came to pick up his hungover small blue thing of a girlfriend, and tried unsuccessfully to cheer her up. But eventually she came round and suggested going out to the cinema. And off we went.

We went to the Ozone multiplex for the first time -- part of a very weird out of town middle of nowhere conglomeration which also includes a bowling alley, bars, a football stadium and a Holiday Inn. You can't quite believe anyone will be there at all, and suddenly there are people everywhere.

Where have they come from? And how come so many of them are so impressively unattractive? A lumpen group with unforgiving haircuts sat round a table in front of Shrek 2 cutouts. M jumped slightly when they got up, as if they might have been part of the display.

But the seats were comfy, there was loads of room, and the film we chose -- Lost in Translation -- was absolutely fantastic. I loved it.

The only bit I didn't love was when Charlotte was talking about not knowing what she wanted to do. I've tried writing, she said, but I hate what I write. And I've tried photography, but I'm just mediocre. And every girl goes through a phase of taking stupid photos of her feet and stuff.

This made my companion chortle mightily, as I have been doing exactly that ever since I got my new camera. And no doubt it much of it is both stupid and mediocre. But hey, I'm enjoying myself. Leave me alone.

For instance I do really like this photo. I took it while out doing my getting-determinedly-drunk thing on Thursday.
drinking in Corridor
What I like best is that the slim beautiful couple are caught in A's vodka and cranberry juice, while my pint of lager got the lairy table.

Either way. Great film. Made me want to go to Japan while I'm still young enough to have wild nights out with someone who loves me.

joella

No comments: