Sunday, January 18, 2004

Woo Hoo

So off S and I went to Blanchfords (Tool Merchants To The Stars!) where I bought my first Kit.

1. An 8" adjustable spanner which goes up to 22 (that's twice as good as 11!) because, as I now know, tubes come in 15 mm (known as 15 mill) and 22 mm (etc) diameters.

Rothenberger pump pliers2. My favourite tool that I have ever owned ever, a pair of Rothenberger 12" pump pliers -- devilishly expensive but aesthetically very pleasing, comfortable to wield in fantasy mode *and* -- get this -- ALREADY USEFUL: I wielded them experimentally in the direction of the Belfast sink we had removed from our kitchen last year and which ever since has been sitting on its side outside the back door still wearing its U-bend because I wasn't in when it was left there. I had thought this was an irredeemable situation but no -- it unscrewed like a dream.

3. A pipe cutter that will have to go back because I got the wrong size (22 rather than 15 -- we won't get to 22 for *ages* is my guess). But I reckon after only one lesson I have enough confidence to take something back to the plumbing department of a builder's merchant's. Can't be bad.

Could it be that all you need in life is a little knowledge, a little confidence, enough authority (eg: this is my sink, I might be a girl but I am entitled to have a go at removing the U-bend) and the right tool for the job?

Or am I just a bit pissed? It can't be that simple.

joella

PS The pic of the pliers is not my photo, it's lifted from the Rothenburger website. I have reversed it to reflect the fact that I am left handed -- the tool itself (unlike many I have used) is blissfully symmetrical.

No comments: