Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Gender related timepiece rant alert

My watch stopped yesterday. It last stopped a year ago. It seems to be stopping every year around this time. Whenever it stops I have to take it to an expensive watch sanctuary for a little break. I think they have to send off to Switzerland for new batteries or something. Either way, it costs a packet.

My watch is 14 years old. It was stylish (and expensive) when I got it, but these days it is just naff. One day it might be retro cool, but not this decade.

It was a birthday present from my parents, so I want to keep it (and as I said, one day it might be retro cool). But I suddenly realised that maybe investing in a new watch (simple, functional, not at all bling) would be a sensible thing to do and possibly not much more expensive than getting current watch patched up.

So I went surfing for watches. I have only two fixed criteria: it must be waterproof -- properly waterproof and not mimsy splashproof -- and it must display the date, and preferably the day. Anything else, I'm open minded about.

If you have a big hairy arm and you are looking for an enormo chunk-watch, you are spoilt for choice. Never have I seen so many practical, good looking wrist accessories. But if you are a woman and want to buy something vaguely in proportion to your anatomy *and yet useful and hardwearing*, you're stuffed.

Women obviously don't need to know what date it is (maybe we can just tell by the moon?) and we obviously only put our watches on when we are hanging around being dainty. Who needs to know the time in the bath?

I'm Outraged of Oxford.

joella

No comments: