Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Unprecedented admission of massive musical misjudgement

I think this needs to go on the record immediately.

I got the Smiths wrong. I was never a fan even though I was just the right age to be one. I wasted a chunk of my adolescence.

It was one of those things. At 12 and 13 in Blackpool in the early 80s, you were either into Duran or Spandau. I was into Duran (a wise choice I still think), and therefore spat in the gutter at the sound of the first chord of True.

At 15 in Blackpool in the late 80s, you were either into Billy Bragg or The Smiths. I was a Bragg fan (and still am) and the Smiths were therefore rubbish.

And then I got older and along came dope, indie, folk and psychedelia and I never gave them a second thought. (Apart from Panic: to this day I still use the phrase "says nothing to me about my life" whenever the occasion merits.)

Why didn't I realise it wasn't that simple? I've picked up a few Smiths albums along the way but never really taken them that seriously, even though some of my favourite people rate them as the best band ever.

But they've been creeping up -- I've listened to more Smiths over the last year than ever before and thought I should add some to the playlist for my upcoming Birthday Drinks. I settled on How Soon Is Now, put it on loud loud loud and decided it was just about perfect.

Resolution #7: Do the Smiths justice.

joella

No comments: