Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Three cranes do make a sunset

Lock me in an unlit dungeon for seventeen years, and then show me a photo of the sky over Oxford this evening and ask me what month it was. October, I would tell you. Without a doubt.

I am not sure if Color Me Beautiful would agree, but I feel in my soul that I am an autumn person.

Dark blue sky with pink streaks, plus orange trees (optional extra, but achingly beautiful if you get the right species on the right day) -- who could ask for more on her way home?

But there were cranes as well. I am not nearly so big a fan of cranes as M, but they have an undeniable elegance and style, and tonight they were lit up in the bright twilight as if celebrating their own transience.

And as a final bonus, the silhouette of the new mosque appeared against the setting sun as we drove down Divinity Road. Not the obvious Oxford spires, but all the more beautiful for that.

joella

No comments: