Wednesday, August 13, 2003

Sprouting beans

The other week, I was admiring my colleague's lunch, which included several kinds of sprouting bean. I discovered she had sprouted them herself and was even more impressed.

It's easy, she said. Anyone could do it.

My first attempt didn't work too well, but it was with a batch of mixed beans. It got smelly before anything much happened.

This time, I used mung beans, and R's recommended method. And it worked! I can make beansprouts!

I am disproportionately excited about this. I think it's because I love beansprouts, but they're usually a disappointment. Now I can make my own it's going to be great.

I am feeling similarly buoyant about tomatoes, lots of which are growing in a hanging basket on our newly-stained-green shed. They taste just as tomatoey as the tomatoes you get in hot countries.

There'll be an allotment in me one day, I reckon.

joella

No comments: