Monday, August 18, 2003

Mankind cannot live on meat alone

I am *loving* the Atkins backlash. I think it is an evil diet.

There is something obscene about rich people eschewing carbohydrates -- low impact food which keeps most of the world alive -- in favour of meat, the most environmentally costly food there is (even if you don't care about animal welfare), *in order to be thin*. Utterly 21st century, and utterly depressing.

However, nobody's going to come off a diet because it's bad for the environment, so I am also pleased that serious nutritionists are now pointing out nasty long term health effects.

And I enjoyed Victoria Coren's piece in yesterday's Observer. "Don't come running to us when you need a kidney." Fantastic.

Though I've seen Dirty Pretty Things: I'm sure rich-enough Atkins casualties will be able to get a nice healthy rice-fed one from somewhere.

joella

No comments: