Thursday, April 24, 2003

Decaf soya cappuccino

My healthy bum regime currently precludes caffeine and dairy products, among other things. So on the whole I am avoiding coffee completely -- it's all too fiddly.

However, last night I was at the train station to meet my visiting Australian artist half-aunt, due in on the 18.18. Which, predictably enough for Virgin Trains, was running half an hour late. As it's a fifteen minute drive home, I decided to wait.

And I waited, and waited, and waited. After a while, the arrival time shifted ten minutes every ten minutes, so the train was always nearly here. I asked the information desk where it actually physically *was* about fifteen times, and each time they said which train, love? THE ONE I JUST ASKED ABOUT TEN MINUTES AGO WHICH IS NOW AN HOUR LATE AND HAS NO FIXED ARRIVAL TIME, I said. Oh, won't be long now, they said. It was like something out of a bad dream.

So I bought a magazine and decided I needed a coffee. I went to the coffee kiosk that all stations have but that nobody can ever remember the name of. I thought I'd just have a black decaf. But they did soya milk too. So I said 'decaf with soya milk please'. The barista reeled off a list of coffee styles, all of which are apparently possible with soya milk. Er, cappuccino, I said.

'Decaf soya cappuccino!' she shouted. 'You fucking what?' said the guy who had to actually make the thing.

When it came it tasted like fluffy eggboxes. Serves me right.

joella

No comments: