Saturday, April 19, 2003

Cleanliness is next to godliness is next to drunkenness

I don't do Easter in the sense that people who go to church do Easter. I am far too lapsed a Catholic for that.

But I do do Lent (normally: crisps, this year: cheese -- though I have modified this to allow goat's cheese and sheep's cheese given that I am currently eating no cow's milk products at all as part of colon detox -- a kind of SuperLent). I would point out that I had already given up cheese for Lent before I was told to give up cow's milk -- Lent's not about cheating.

And in anticipation of Easter we have cleaned the house from top to bottom -- well, top and bottom, the stairs are still pretty dirty. My job was the kitchen and the shower room, and neither has been cleaner in recent memory. S has done one of her super-blitz jobs on the front room, the back room and the bathroom, and Miles got out of his job -- the dining room which happens to be a conservatory -- by painting it purple instead. I am not sure about this at all, it does have a distinct 80s tinge now, what with the glittery black woodwork, but I hear the 80s are cool again, and anyway, it's better than the 'apple white' it was before.

We are having a big roast to celebrate tomorrow (nuts for me, chicken for everyone else, and I've made mine already how organised is that), and competing with the paint fumes will be... wine.

I said Year of Living Healthily (DAY A HUNDRED AND NINETEEN!), yet there is some very posh Chablis (well, fuck it, if you're going to do it at least make it worth it) chilling in the fridge. I did think about this very hard. I am still not 100% sure it's a good idea. But god, am I looking forward to it.

joella

No comments: