Friday, November 18, 2005

Talking DRM blues

Dear legal music download services

You are all absolute fuckers. If I buy music from iTunes I can't import it into Windows Media Player because it's in protected AAC format, which means I can't put it onto a CD EVEN THOUGH I'VE BOUGHT IT (I can't do this via iTunes because bastard iTunes is not compatible with my CD writer). If I buy music from Microsoft I can't put it on my iPod EVEN THOUGH I'VE BOUGHT IT because it's in protected WMA format so iTunes won't take it.

So I can listen to things at home on my computer. In one room. Jesus, reel to reel tapes were more bloody portable and convergent than that.

joella

2 comments:

Andy said...

I point you here:
http://www.ghacks.net/2005/11/10/how-to-live-without-the-music-industry/
but i don't feel it will solve the whole problem.

bastards. My Nokia phone has wonderful technology allowing me to surf the internet from the joys of my handset.

I connect through 3 networks, and am not allowed to surf the internet. instead i get to surf their selection of goals, naked women, crap games and "ringtunes".

bastards.

Jo said...

It just should not be like this. Thanks for the link, and it is all good advice. I do buy CDs, it's just sometimes I only want one track -- the track that's been in my head for a week, or the track that I only have on a mix tape from 1989. With p2p (evil adware aside) you could just get it. Now it's next to impossible to get it in a format I can actually do anything with. It's driving me crazy. Bastards. Etc.