Sunday, November 13, 2005

Somebody's getting married...


Balloons at Emma's hen night
Originally uploaded by joellaflickr.

About seven years ago Emma bought Eurostar tickets to take her boyfriend for a weekend in Paris. A week before they were due to go, they split up. I had just split from my Significant Ex. Do you want to go to Paris for the weekend? she said. Too right, I said. We drank a lot of wine and I got a tattoo (occasionally pictured right).

Five years later she fell in love with a Frenchman and now she lives in Paris with him and their baby. Next month they're getting married; last night we went out to celebrate. Hen nights can be dreadful occasions (I recall a particularly bizarre one which featured a male stripper), but this one was lovely.

I especially liked drinking Ice Picks, cocktails featuring gin and champagne. As teenagers in Blackpool, ex-housemate S and I would drink Pick Me Ups - half a cider with a double gin. I see the Ice Pick as the grown up version of this. In fact it was a very grown up night all round. Well done Emma. Can't wait for the wedding...

joella

No comments: