Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The joy of stats

I think paying for blog stats is a bit sad, so I never have, and instead live with the basic SiteMeter info. Which until recently gave me number of visitors and their IP address and time zone but not much else. But hey, better than nothing.

However, they've recently improved things, and I now sometimes get 'referrer info', ie if people have linked through from somewhere, I now know where. This has mostly been a bit depressing (you would not believe how many people click through from Google Image Search to my photo of hardcore), but is sometimes hilarious.

For instance: today someone came through who was looking for photos of Laetitia Cash. She is a posh bint who pissed me off in M&S in Summertown about two and a half years ago (more here). I have not given her a thought since, yet it turns out that she is a) actually quite It and (more interestingly) b) recently stood for the Tories in Salford.

And came third. "What's the point in walking into a safe seat in Islington or Chelsea?", she reportedly said. I can't quite believe she really has an interest in Salford (there aren't many M&S food halls there) but hey, who's to judge. But I'd say learn some manners, love, and people might listen.

Both the fact that I may now get hits from people searching for "Laetitia Cash hardcore", and the perverse pleasure that I might get from this, are of course entirely incidental.

joella

No comments: