Thursday, April 22, 2004

Viva La Vega

nine objects of desireI've just had J and K round for dinner -- J is about to have her first baby, and K has just come back to work after maternity leave for baby number two. Which isn't to reduce them to the fruits of their loins, it's just where they are at. We had a lovely evening, but I struggled slightly with the music.

The household's CDs have recently been decanted into purpose built drawers, so I can scan my whole collection in a way that hasn't been possible for many years. This also allows me to run my fingers idly down the spines of the jewel cases, and sometimes that's how I choose. And tonight, after a couple of duff choices, my fingers found for me Suzanne Vega's Nine Objects of Desire, which was just the perfect album for the occasion.

I love it when that happens, and I love it more when you hear an album again that once spent months on constant rotation and you remember why it was that you didn't want to listen to anything else at that point in your life.

I think Suzanne Vega's first album is one of the best albums of all time. I know every inch of every track and I will love it till I die. But Nine Objects belongs to a time and a place and I haven't listened to it for years. Yet after J & K left I filled up my wine glass and put it on all over again. If they had Booker Prizes for albums I think it would win one.

joella

PS I am v pleased with my title this evening, reminds me of the days when writing headlines was part of my job. Almost not worth posting anything else. Why use 50 words when three etc.

No comments: