Sunday, April 04, 2004

Random Sunday thoughts

1. Must get rid of the bloody virus we seem to have which pops up lots of evil ad windows in IE and crashes it every so often. Would move to Mozilla or Opera but neither supports the cleverer of the Blogger editing windows. So until can get rid of bloody virus, must 'post' at regular intervals while musing.

2. Old media will never die. Were it not for an article about blogging I read in today's Observer I might never have come across It's Wrong to Wish on Space Hardware. Its author isn't the world's best writer (bit longwinded for screen reading, imo) but he seems warm (if you disregard the Oasis fandom, always a danger sign) and interesting (if you disregard the football fandom, which I personally find tedious in the extreme) and it's certainly the only blog I've come across where every post starts with a Billy Bragg lyric. Can't be bad.

3. Never underestimate the importance of communication in any relationship. And don't be afraid to say what you want, even if it does involve trying to fix the guttering. You may only make the guttering worse, but you will nevertheless achieve something.

4. I should have stuck to my resolution to give up wine for Lent. I normally give up something fairly challenging, like crisps or cheese, and normally stick to it. Last year I didn't drink at all from New Year to Easter, and managed that ok, so I felt that this year giving up wine for Lent would be suitably difficult but not impossible. But I was wrong. I cheated after a mere three weeks, which is fairly pathetic, and have been pretty much ignoring the whole giving up wine thing ever since. Which is a shame, as wine does me in like no other drink. I had a fabulous Friday night in Glasgow with my friend A, but I needed dark glasses for the flight home on Saturday and proceeded to hide under a duvet for the rest of the day once I got there. I think it's to do with the delay between drinking wine and it catching up with you. For me it's too long, I can drink it faster than it hits me, and that's always dangerous.

5. Housemates can be weird, but you have to try and remember that they may think you are weird too.

joella

No comments: