Saturday, April 24, 2004

Great lost albums

The sun is out, the nights are long, the wine is cold and, as previously mentioned, my CD collection is all in one place for me to browse through at my leisure. I neglected to mention that it has also been alphabetised by M, one of the great altruistic things one person can do for another. Our collections remain separate of course. We're not *married* or anything.

All this, plus the fact that the CDs are near the hifi and all the bits of the hifi work and the speakers are great and in the same room as the PC, has allowed me to excavate corners of my musical history that have lain neglected for many years. When I can get past my boyfriend's obsession with Squarepusher, that is.

Anyway... albums de la casa currently include everything I have by Gil Scott Heron (not a lot, but enough) -- surely one of the greatest urban songwriters of all time -- and Halfway between the gutter and the stars, perfect getting ready to go out music. Tonight we are off to see the strangely named Múm. They are from Iceland, like Björk and Sigur Ros. Their tour bus was outside the venue by lunchtime today -- Scandinavians are *so* punctual.

joella

No comments: