Monday, April 12, 2004

Easter on the estuary

No, not the Thames estuary, the Ribble estuary.

Thursday night: drive to Lytham. Manage to *miss* the new M6 toll road. How can you miss it? It's the biggest thing between here and Lancashire. The M6 is a very boring road. That is a very boring thing to say, but not as boring as the M6 is. Distracted myself by taking photos through the windscreen (NB I wasn't driving, before anyone rings the police).

road signs on the M6gritting in progress... what, in april?

Friday: Hung out with N&D and their gorgeous baby C -- it's a joy to see new parents a) away from home and b) in the pub. Most of them seem to disappear underground. Also wondered about the shops in Lytham (could find no actual shop called Exciter, despite a sign to same) and got too drunk thanks to midnight licence in the splendidly-named Cunninghams, where the fabulous Lisa was DJ-ing. She played We want your soul by Freeland, which had me dancing *on carpet* in front of my uncle. The shame.

beginning of a lovely familywhat kind of shop *is* this?far too pissed in the parental home

Saturday: Spent a bit of time appreciating Lytham's traditional heritage and recent(ish) naffness

Lytham's famous cobbles... they are smooth and beautiful.outside the Catholic church where I was christened and first confessed and confirmed. There was none of this aubretia-ridden breast beating in my pre-lapse days, you know

Oh, and her straightforward natural beauty.

from my parents' toilet. I call it the Poo with a View

Sunday: back down the toll road for gin. There are photos of both but I am running out of evangelical amateur photographer steam.

Moral of the weekend: it's good to go back to your roots, but it's also good to remember why you actually live in the branches.

More to say about writing and brevity, about The Books Which Changed My Life, and about driving a van to Amsterdam. All are Easter-related, but all need to be relegated to a later date. My boyfriend and his children are watching a boy band documentary. I don't have to go and watch it too, but I kind of want to. You take your bonding opportunities when you can in this life (cf roots thing above).

joella


No comments: