Thursday, July 10, 2003

Too. Damn. Hot. But there's cherries.

Yes, yes, I know we all complain whatever the weather, but it really is too hot.

Countries where it is this hot a lot have sensible ways of coping with it, like big stone buildings or air conditioning. My office has a fan, and frankly it's not enough, especially as there is a bank of servers and a photocopier just outside the door blasting out heat which the fan then pushes in my direction.

We are all barefoot and wearing our floatiest clothes (and that's just the boys). There's nothing else we can do. What if it gets hotter? Our health and safety guidelines have a minimum temperature below which we cannot be compelled to work, but no maximum temperature above which we cannot be compelled to work. We will die in here.

The only consolation is Rainier cherries from the greengrocer's across the road. They are delicate and temperamental, and only in season for about a month -- and it's now. They are pale yellow with pink splatters and as big as conkers. They taste like heaven.

The only thing with cherries is the stones. I want to fill my whole mouth with them, to experience ultimate cherriness, but it's treacherous on the teeth.

So I have just invested in a cherry stoner (I knew they existed, it was just a matter of getting it together to find one) -- I just hope it arrives before the season finishes.

joella

No comments: