Monday, October 02, 2006

Killer app

Okay, nearly two years in I've finally got the point of my iPod. I think my problem before was mainly that I just don't listen to music via earbuds (as I think they call them these days).

The ones that come as standard are a bit crappy and hurt your ears, which isn't much of an incentive. I refuse to spend even more money on Apple accessories when they should provide you with decent bits in the first place, and I'm just not street enough to have cans (as I think they call them these days).

Also I don't think it's safe to listen to music while cycling (you need to have all your senses engaged while cycling round here); I don't spend much time on trains or buses at the moment; and I just feel a bit... *conspicuous* walking down the street with giveaway white wires.

So for a long time my iPod stayed home and I felt a little guilty about owning it at all. But then I went to last year's Nightmare Before Christmas and Magic Chalet-mates brought an iPod sound system. It was amazing. All your tunes, all your friends' tunes, there in Pontins! I get it, I thought. This is what it's all about.

But I also don't go away that much, so even that's only had limited impact.

But I do drive. And I just went on eBay and bought a thing which sticks into the tape deck at one end and my iPod at the other and which means I can listen to my iPod IN THE CAR. Or in ANYONE ELSE'S CAR. Now that's life changing. I'm sold.

I still hate iTunes with a passion though.

joella

5 comments:

Tim said...

I listen to my mp3 player (not an iPod) mainly in the car by that very same means. The little wires into the cassette thing tend to be very brittle and break, so I should have a spare for when this one goes.

I too hate the nasty bud things, but these "in ear" phones are absolutely brilliant, terrific sound quality, and extremely comfortable. I promise they will transform your ipod enjoyment to new heights, or your money back! Ermm.
http://www.discountdiscs.co.uk/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Senn-CX300blk&Category_Code=senn

And I agree with the non-cycling sentiment too.

Tim said...

Its rubbish when links aren't clickable, isn't it?

Jo said...

What, they go right inside? I never saw the like. I clearly need to refresh my knowledge of audio accessories. Thanks, I'll check them out...

Anonymous said...

I know you shouldn't really listen to music on headphones while cycling, but there's something just so very life-affirming about singing along to Belle and Sebastian (or whoever) while dodging in and out of the rush hour A6 traffic that I just can't resist. And I maintain that the experience is heightened if you are plugged in, not to a state of the art Ipod, but to a bulky vintage Sony Walkman. Who needs those telltale white wires?

By the way Joella many congratulations on your big job news- sounds very exciting! Somehow I managed to miss your post telling us all about it and instead left some comment on the next post in which I blethered on about launderettes, of all things...

cleanskies said...

I use generic (JVC or something)hook-over-the-ear headphones. Can't stand having things inside my ear. Ew! The i-pod is fine with them.