Friday, October 20, 2006

Exit left

So, farewell then, Clare Short (well, kind of). I am sad, I really am. I think Clare Short is good for the Labour Party.

I have always admired both her politics and her feminism, and I loved her first and best when she campaigned in the 1980s for Page Three to be banned. I was a teenager at the time, and a bit later campaigned at university to ban The Sun from the JCR on grounds of sexism (or at least not to spend communal student union funding on buying it every day). As I recall, we won, though I never went to the JCR, and when I did I was a bit stoned, so I can't be sure.

Hmm. Not much of a legacy, when you put it like that. But we will be worse off without her, I am sure of that.

joella

2 comments:

tatton said...

Better out than in. I might get her to try and join us in the Greens.

Anonymous said...

She's basically sincere, I've little doubt. However a fly-on-the-wall source with no axe to grind told me that she actually said very little indeed in Cabinet (as opposed to outside) in opposition to the Iraq engagement. Out of all of them, only Cook really piped up.