Thursday, March 23, 2006

Horizontal blogging

I am lying on the sofa with my feet up and a glass of wine perched precariously on the fire surround. I tried to sit up at the little desk where my laptop lives, but I couldn't do it. I was too aware of my aching head and weary limbs to think of anything to say. Now I'm comfy I can make the space to reflect a little, not least on how wild it is to be able to access the internet lying down. That never used to be possible.

If I cycle into work tomorrow, it will make five days out of five: a personal record. I almost don't want to, it will leave me nothing to achieve. And as if that weren't impressive enough, there have been multiple extra journey bits:

Monday: home > work > town > home
Tuesday: home > work > plumbing > home
Wednesday: home > work > home
Thursday: home > hotel in N Oxford > home > plumbing > home

Home > work = 15 mins
Work > town = 25 mins
Town > home = 15 mins
Work > plumbing = 10 mins
Plumbing > home = 20 mins
Home > hotel in N Oxford = 20 mins

So we are talking 55 + 45 + 30 + 80 minutes = LOTS of cycling this week. It must be good for me. *And* I've given up crisps for Lent. I'm a frigging paragon of virtue at the moment, frankly.

So why do I feel so crap? Well... it's not been an insane week but it's had its moments, particularly Monday evening, which was spent immensely pleasurably with housemate K and our mutual friend J, who is a make up artist. She has put foundation on Yasmin Le Bon! She (J, not Yasmin Le Bon) came from London on the bus and we generally made a very respectable night of it. There was brandy involved. On a school night. Tsk.

And then (and much more BORINGLY) there are the headaches. They have kind of come back and it's really dull. *gloom*

Oh, but tonight M has come home with a visiting musician, who we are putting up. She is an improvising flautist from Los Angeles, on tour with a Chinese zither player. As if that weren't weird enough, by day she's a paralegal who does contracts for rap artists. She likes 'Europe' and she drinks Scotch. Thursday nights are cool.

joella

4 comments:

Liz said...

I'm blogging by the fire - horizontal sounds better! And the wine (why didn't I think of that?) It would be great to see you this weekend - are you around? X

Jo said...

Yes, I'm around and would love to see you too, lots on but spaces in between... I'll call / email you tomorrow xx

Phil said...

Does the visiting musician like the 80 soft rock anthem makers of 'Final Countdown' fame or the various countries Americans tend to belive are similar in some way

Jo said...

The various countries! But to be fair to her, I hear a lot of people talk about 'Africa' as if it was as homogenous as, say, Luxembourg. I quite like The Final Countdown. Good wedding disco music.