Monday, January 31, 2005

My snow trousers smell of campfire

Did I ever think I'd be saying such a thing? No. Which is one of the great things about adulthood, I think. You can keep surprising yourself. But they do: the campfire in question was built in the snow by a man I quite fell for, who also showed us how to cook sausages and (pictured) little cakes on long sticks. I don't eat sausages so he showed me how to cook a banana instead.

He also taught us about cross-country ski-ing (murderously hard work), snowshoeing (incredible fun: you can walk up anything!) and ice fishing (which I thought would be standing round a hole in the ice with a rod, but turned out to be a lot more complicated).

Other people took us snowmobiling (which I fancy I was quite good at) and husky dog sledding (which I think I was quite bad at), and still others cooked us lots of food, and gave us saunas and shots of Finlandia to warm us up. I still can't believe I went on a winter activity holiday (or any holiday with the word 'activity' in the title) but I am feeling hale and hearty and clean and serene. I'm not going to think about the pointlessness of existence, my impending middle age or the simultaneous packing up of all our white goods until at least next week.

joella

No comments: