Monday, November 17, 2003

Television wars

I don't like big televisions. In fact, I hate them. Especially in small living rooms like ours. It is a living room, not a television room. I watch it, but I turn it off afterwards. I need this to be so or I go leetle crazy.

S likes to have the television on. If she's in the same room as one, it's generally on. She likes them big because then they are easier to watch.

M thinks he wants a big television but I don't think he does really. But that could be me projecting (arf).

Anyway, we had a small one. It was in fairness a little smaller than is practical if four people were trying to watch it, but there was no way you could say it dominated the room. Watching it wasn't much fun, so we didn't watch it that much. So far so good, if you are me.

Then from nowhere S bundled in an enormo-television that her Young Man's Grandad didn't want anymore. I protested, but there wasn't that much I could do as it was free and it was there now.

And I have to say it has made EastEnders more compelling, and has made DVDs more fun to watch.

However, it is now on the blink. So she went to look for a new one, and found another enormo one. This choice she justified on the grounds that it was no bigger than the current one (Enormo in this context is 24" -- I know TVs get *much* bigger than this these days but it's still too bloody big as far as I'm concerned).

BUT I NEVER WANTED THE CURRENT ONE! NOBODY ASKED ME! I WOULDN'T HAVE PARTED WITH CASH FOR IT! I WOULDN'T HAVE EVEN LET IT IN THE HOUSE GIVEN THE CHOICE!

I figured a 21" compromise would work. But M is on the 24" side.

If we had a big room I could probably cope. But we haven't. We haven't agreed yet, on the grounds that 24" TVs are significantly more expensive than 21" TVs, and that's before you get into the flat screen wide screen surround sound hoohah, but the pressure is on.

joella

No comments: