Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Healthy caveat

Some parts of Year of Living Healthily may have fallen by the wayside, but two very important things have been integrated into my life.

1. I don't smoke anymore. I really don't. I've been to Glastonbury, I've been miserable, I've been very drunk, I've been very stressed, I've been very angry, I've been to the pub in Lytham, where *everyone* smokes, and I haven't smoked.

The hardest moments have been with smokers of roll-ups, as roll-ups are the friendliest of things to smoke, and I have thought well maybe just a very small, very thin one would be ok... but I haven't done it. I've dreamt about it, but I haven't done it. The year's not over yet, but I am relatively optimistic on that one.

2. I eat better. Lunch today: spiced potatoes, feta salad and green beans with tomatoes and olive oil from the Lebanese deli across the road. With a V8 juice and some pumpkin seeds (do you *know* how much protein there is in pumpkin seeds?). Breakfast this morning: two handfuls of dried fruit and nuts (never been very good at breakfast, but I try). Dinner last night: smoked haddock, poached egg, wild mushrooms cooked in olive oil, brown rice with onion and chilli.

I'm beginning to sound like a wanker, so I'll stop there, but basically I mostly avoid wheat, and I mostly avoid dairy, except when a) not to is a pain in the arse for someone else or b) I would go hungry otherwise. This has helped my slug of a digestive system no end, which is why I stick to it, but a side effect is that you are forced to think harder about food: you can't have a sandwich for your lunch, and you can't have pasta or pizza for your tea.

And if you're going to have to plan your meals, you might as well do it properly. I still struggle with lunch (I am nowhere near organised enough to take it into work, and instant options are v limited) but tea is another matter altogether. Never have I eaten so well. Lots of fish, lots of veg, rice, salad, tofu, stir fries, lentils, beans, nuts, curries, jacket potatoes, soups, stews... with almost nothing instant or out of a jar. It's an effort sometimes, but it's worth it.

So if I can bring myself to get off my arse three times a week, I'll be sorted.

joella

No comments: