Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Tears before bedtime

Well, the drive to get fit (I think I called it Active Autumn, as a sub-brand of Year of Living Healthily) is going dismally. Monday evenings are prime exercise nights but I spent yet another one in front of the television.

I did get to cry twice though, an activity which while not very active definitely counts as healthy in my book.

The first time was during a story on the 10 o'clock news about Aids sufferers in China. Hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of people have been infected *by the actions of their own government*, which encouraged them to sell their blood while not bothering to make sure equipment was sterilised. (More here).

Now they are dying in their thousands, on their own, with no state help, as the epidemic is alternately denied and ignored by the same government.

The second time was during the second part of Holy Cross. I remember how anxious I felt in September 2001. How much worse would it have been if people had been breaking my windows and spitting at me? How do you feel safe in the world?

Relatedly -- lest we forget. It's not often you see Flash used as sensitively as this.

joella

No comments: