Tuesday, November 11, 2003

Playlist

I did my Not Little Anymore But Still Littler Than Me Sister a bunch of CDs for her birthday. One of them was a compilation and I'm very taken with it. It's a mixture of songs she must know but might not have, songs she might know but might not know she knows, and songs she might not know but really should. All chosen to go well together (if you are my sister), though I'm not sure Gil Scott-Heron fits as well musically in there as he does in sentiment.

Anyway, the track listing is:

She's in Love with Time: The Bevis Frond
English Rose: The Jam
A New England: Kirsty MacColl
Something's gotten hold of my heart: Nick Cave
Car Wash Hair: Mercury Rev
Frontier Psychiatrist: The Avalanches
Know Now Then: Ani DiFranco
Good to Be on the Road Back Home: Cornershop
When You Are Who You Are: Gil Scott-Heron
Yoshimi Battle the Pink Robots, Pt. 1: The Flaming Lips
Strawberry Fields Forever: Candy Flip
Ecstasy Symphony/Transparent Radiation: Spacemen 3
I Shall Be Released (live): Chrissie Hynde

English Rose is an achingly beautiful song, yet the last time I heard it was at N&D's place in Kent just after I had my wisdom teeth out, which I make to be about 10 years ago now. How can I have gone so long without listening to it?

I've got out of the habit of doing compilations, and even though they should be easier than they used to be when you had to do them on tape, they somehow seem harder. Maybe it's just I don't spend my whole life in my bedroom these days.

joella

No comments: