Friday, April 08, 2005

Great cheap laugh

One of my lovely colleagues just came in and said, in a Friday-cake-sort-of-way 'do you like chocolate doughnuts?'

Hey, I said, was the Pope Catholic?

My how we laughed.

On that note, thanks to Andy for directing me to Polly Toynbee's fantastic Papal piece in today's Guardian. I couldn't agree more, and I am glad someone's speaking out over the mawkish hypocritical cant that seems to characterise the rest of the media coverage of the Death of the Year.

A snippet:

Still the Vatican turns a blind eye to this most repugnant and damaging of all sexual practices, the suffering little children whose priests come unto them. Yet at the same time it thunders disapproval of sex in every other more innocent circumstance, blighting the lives of millions with its teaching on gays, divorce, abortion and unrealistic self-denial. There is no reckoning how many of the world's poorest women have died giving birth to more children than they can survive; contraception is women's true saviour.

I recommend reading the rest of it, it's good angry stuff.

joella

No comments: