Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Going first class

I *have* travelled first class on a train once or twice, but I've never paid for the ticket. My approach as a teenager when the train was packed was to get on in between the two first class carriages and sit on the floor. Sometimes the guard would give you a seat, and even if he didn't, the toilets were better and there was carpet on the floor.

I've never travelled first class on a plane. I've never even travelled business class, and I'm beginning to realise that I probably never will. But that's ok, there's always Valium and flight socks.

But there's one kind of travel where I always go first class, and that's by post. This is because I have a just-in-time life. Who remembers to post anything four days early? Who has two kinds of stamps in their purse?

My family are accepting of the fact that if their birthday is on a weekend, they won't get the card till Monday. My application to vote by proxy will get there in the nick of time, no earlier. I can't decide if this is a hopeless waste of 5p a time, or that I should be proud that I get cards and proxy vote applications out there at all.

joella