Monday, October 11, 2004

Bonkers as conkers

When I was growing up in Lancashire, conkers never even hit the ground, so sought after were they. I wasn't cool enough or tall enough so I never got any. But these days they are still lying on the ground a fortnight after falling. What is it with the youth of today? Well, I suppose schools making them wear safety goggles to play might have something to do with it. Looking like a dork is quite a powerful deterrent at age 8-11.

So I am relieved to see that the World Conker Championships are still going strong. But having said that, I am crap at conkers, and prefer to just carry them round in my pockets (I've got several 'lucky conkers' that have seen me through a lot).

Coming soon: a couple of great photos from a lovely weekend in the Beautiful Georgian City of Bath. However, I think I singlehandedly disproved the brand new theory that women are better at holding their drink. I am nursing an extended hangover which I now have to take to Manchester, like one of those Tamagotchis that demands attention while not actually improving your life in any way. Grrr.

joella

No comments: