Thursday, December 05, 2002

Using the phone

My Significant Ex used to be thoroughly bemused by this phrase. About once a fortnight, maybe once a month, I would reach for my address book, a bottle of wine and an ashtray and say "I'm just going to Use the Phone". He would use the phone to call a specific person to find out a specific thing or make a specific arrangement, but Using the Phone is so much more than that.

The main thing is, you just kept calling people till you found someone who was in who was in the mood to chat, and then you had a proper conversation with them. And if they weren't in the mood, or they'd called you and you weren't, there was a distinct etiquette which allowed you to comunicate this, and you moved on. But it was a great way to stay in touch with your friends.

But it's kind of gone now, like letter writing before it, because now you get text messages and emails saying 'how are you?' and you can reply or not.But I think I might resurrect it as a New Year's Resolution. Last night I Used the Phone, and it was great. The Lizard, who's a teacher and never uses email, called me up and we talked for nearly an hour. Then I got the bug and called lots of other people. And *then* I embarked upon a real live letter, to Ms S who is jolly successful in Sydney. Okay, I am typing it rather than writing it (she won't approve) but I am going to put it in the real live post.

It's good to talk. But modern life is not all rubbish. I can check out people I would never know about via Friends Reunited, and you can even find out about Non-significant Exes by doing a little research. Who'd have thought Eddie would have ended up making beer in Kent?

And of course, anyone who wants to know about me can now read this. Not that many people do, mind.

joella

No comments: