Sunday, June 10, 2007

Open Garden


Jardin de joella 4
Originally uploaded by joellaflickr.

M is on the Events Committee of our local residents' association. I co-edit its newsletter. We are both slightly embarrassed to find ourselves community-minded in this way, but a) we have the skills and b) if you don't have small children you have to look for ways to meet your neighbours. So when the Open Gardens idea was mooted at a recent Events meeting, our names went down.

We worked like bastards to make our garden worth Opening. We weren't sure we had succeeded. About 30 people came to look at it today -- we had baby Tungsten round providing distractions, but people generally seemed to think we'd done ok with our 16 by 60 foot space.

A few people stood on the doorstep and said 'you're very brave to be doing this' before they'd even seen it. They were the ones who made us feel all right. And if you're reading this and you were part of the landscaping posse three years ago -- thanks: the terracing was the Most Admired. And rightly so.

joella

5 comments:

Spine said...

Warren edits his parish newsletter. go figure.

Anonymous said...

Has the hedge recovered from the rollercoaster look I gave it?

Jo said...

Not *quite*, but we passed it off as a feature.

Anonymous said...

Oh man. I only wanted to help. I could see Miles wondering what he'd unleashed but being too decent to stop me.

Next time, I'll water the plants.

Charlie said...

Um, I mean M. Sorry. I'd be hopeless in a war.