Monday, May 07, 2007

And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Pies



Originally uploaded by joellaflickr.

Something very dangerous happened this weekend. An idle thought of M's met a Nigel Slater recipe. Together they opened the freezer to find a block of puff pastry that I bought on a whim a few weeks ago, and unto us a pie was born.

We ate the pie for dinner with our visiting friend C, who could not have done a better job of appreciating the pie had he been Desperate Dan himself.

The pie was filled with cheese, leek, onion, potato and cream. It was fucking amazing, pardon my French. It was so amazing that the next morning we ate another pie almost just like it, but with extra broccoli inside to make up numbers and baked beans on the side.

We spent much of our constitutional walk the next day playing Fantasy Pie League. C's pie will feature feta cheese and spinach. And I fancy one with mushrooms in, like a giant mushroom vol au vent.

The pie possibilites are endless. Who knew it was so easy? All those years in my teens I spent fannying around with a toasted sandwich maker, I could have been making pies instead!

*However* (and this is where it gets dangerous) how long before small boys start pointing at me in the street and shouting 'who ate all the pies?'. At two pies a day, it might be Wednesday week.

Maybe I should buy some earplugs.

joella

6 comments:

Spine said...

not to puncture your puff, but is it a pie when the crust is only on the top?

Spine said...

looking closely at picture, I think I may have mis-judged your pie.

Jo said...

Yes, it had two crusts, it was indisputably of the Pie genus. But what is a pie with only one crust called?

Andy said...

A pie is not a pie unless it is entirely enclosed in pastry.

I'm afraid my poor fiance has heard my rant about this too many times. Every time we go to a pub, it's the same:

"Pie" on the menu. "Is it *proper* pie?" I ask.

"It's got a pastry topping, sir."

"In which case it is a stew with a lid," I quip. Then tell Liz what constitutes a proper pie.

Oh, poor liz. Soon to be wife. My soon-to-be kids will also be destined to grow up listening to their dad prattle on about "proper" pies.

Jo said...

What about shepherd's pie?

Anonymous said...

But it *was* encased in pastry. Rendering the debate moot. I think. I'm not sure what 'moot' means.