Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Am I pregnant?

I found a link to this remarkable 'Am I pregnant?' quiz during a bit of aimless post-prandial blog-wandering.

I'm no expert, I thought to myself, but I'd bet good money that you can't actually find out if you're pregnant by doing an online quiz, unless one of the questions is 'is there a baby's head poking out between your legs?' and your answer is 'yes'.

If you click through, they tell you: "if you want to know if you are pregnant, you MUST take a pregnancy test". But then they offer you the 'Am I pregnant?' quiz anyway.

So I took it. There is no earthly way I could be pregnant, but it told me that "your chance of pregnancy is low, but you need to check a pregnancy test to be sure".

If I wanted even more pointless guidance, I could pay $4.95 for a personal e-mail response detailing the chance of pregnancy in my specific situation. Which would also presumably include a recommendation that I take a pregnancy test to be on the safe side.

I struggle to see how this is useful or indeed ethical. They should wipe the whole thing and replace it with a money-off coupon for a stick to wee on.

joella

1 comment:

cleanskies said...

That is *appalling*! I couldn't believe that there wasn't even an option for using condoms! Still American sex ed isn't known for its... well. It wouldn't be your first choice, put it that way.