Thursday, September 14, 2006

Days of warm impermanence

Ok, so here's the skinny. I have QUIT MY JOB! I love my job in many ways -- indeed, if you had asked me 10 years ago what my perfect job might look like it wouldn't have been so far off this one -- but the fact is I need a new manager, so therefore I need a new job.

As Anne Robinson once put it, "You have to accept the treachery of the workplace. You cannot waste time discovering it daily.". I did my thinking, I had my therapy, formal and informal, and I decided to get the hell out. And I have.

Thankfully, I have not had to leave the organisation, which I also love, but not to the extent that I am prepared to make myself miserable for it. Circumstances conspired, stormclouds gathered, and I put my only smart shirt on this 9/11 and got myself a job which is a) higher up the food chain and b) part time. So in theory I will have more to fight with and less to lose. Should it come to that.

I am not intending that it will. I am intending instead to tighten my metaphorical belt, broaden my metaphorical horizons, and spend a broader chunk of my time engaging with the real world and the people who matter to me (specifically those to whom I commensurately matter).

And on that note, I sense that I am becoming a bit pissed and wanky so it's enough sherry for the dwarf and off to bed, as my dad would say.

joella

Afterthought: oh yeah, and I signed my resignation letter in purple ink.

9 comments:

Ben said...

Score one for the lucky pants. Well done!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jo. Have to say that "(specifically those to whom I commensurately matter)" has the ring of one of your former bosses - would you like it printed on a tea towel?

Jo said...

Yeah, I knew it was time to go to bed as soon as I typed that. I can't decide if the reverse would be surprising or not.

Anonymous said...

As long as you vindicate your presence, I don't think it matters.

Phil said...

Congrats on the job Jo.

tatton said...

Well done! Brilliant news.

Tim said...

Congratulations.
I'm not entirely sure what's actually going on here, but hey.
Well done!

cleanskies said...

Woot! And Woot again I say! Many congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Hooray!! Whiskey macs all round! :-)