Tuesday, July 05, 2005

To-do list

I've been signed off sick all week. This is only the second time in my life I've had a doctor's note - the first was after I went to South Africa last year. Maybe I'm allergic to Pretoria.

Anyway, I am still sleeping a lot of the time, and other significant activities include gargling with soluble aspirin, reading, and feeling grumpy. But I have decided to do one thing a day that I have been meaning to do for ages but haven't got round to.

This achieves two objectives: one, I feel better about myself for having done these things, and two, I feel that I am not lying around all day being a burden to society. Or to my household, at least.

So... On Sunday I engineered the re-potting of the bay trees, which used to belong to M's mother and which were looking bedraggled and yellow. M did most of the actual repotting, but I was the one who got us out to buy the pots and mixed the compost and the iron sulphate which will with luck turn them into happy trees again. Then I trimmed them carefully back into a ball shape with the secateurs, and hung up bunches of bay leaves to dry in the kitchen. Then I had a little lie down.

On Monday I bought curtain tie back hooks (part of the curtain tie back fitting job I have got lined up for later in the week) and, more significantly, used an unexpected council tax rebate to order a new dishwasher from the Co-op's online electrical shop. It's silver! It's coming on Thursday! I can't wait!

And today I gave joella a little face-lift. Well, I started last night but I didn't get very far. But I'm quite pleased with the result. She needs to evolve. As do I.

joella

No comments: