Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The skinny chez joella

I've been short of words recently, and those I've had have mostly been about music. This won't do: I must remember that Colin relies on me for insightful cultural analysis.

So.

1. The Corporation. Wait for the DVD. It's good, but it's far too long. Especially if (as of course you should) you see it in a small independent cinema with uncomfortable seats and stains on the carpet. But I learnt a lot from it, and I also found it strangely reassuring. I am not a freak. In fact I am the future. Well, actually India is the future. We should all move there now and never get on a plane or buy a share again. (NB I have got on many of the former but I have never bought any of the latter).

2. May all the gods in all the world please pull their fingers out to stop Middle East meltdown when they turn Arafat off, cos the Americans and the Israelis sure aren't going to. We all need this to work, people, but I don't have a great feeling about it, know what I'm saying?

3. Everyone's asking why French women don't get fat. I read about it in the Observer and the answer is because they eat fish and vegetables for lunch and they skip all other meals and replace them with black coffee and cigarettes. Then they have their picture taken next to a teeny tiny cake and give the rest of us a hard time. Oh, and they wear uncomfortable underwear, which serves as a kind of hair shirt reminder at all times.

4. If you are a lady (but not a French one) or simply like ladies things, I can recommend the low rise short, a new shape of pants. I am sure most women change their pant shape allegiance less often than they change their partner, which is already proven to be less often than they change their bank. But I am definitely considering making a change. They are comfy, they are flattering (unlike full shorts, which look like something you used to skive off athletics in), and there is minimal VPL. Though you will have to live with the fact that your pants are classed as outerwear in clubland and R'n'B videos.

5. Spooks is no good since Tom left.

(that's enough insightful cultural analysis - Ed)

joella

No comments: