Friday, November 05, 2004

iTunes schmiTunes

Legal download services are a bag of shit. All of them.

There are three tunes I want.

1. Beautiful, by Clem Snide. Only released on an EP, which costs £6.99 on Amazon. I only want the one tune. Can I find it anywhere? No. Well, yes -- on iTunes in the US. Which, in this brave new virtual world, won't sell me anything.

2. Don't stop movin' -- Beautiful South cover of the S Club 7 dancefloor ass-shaker. Can only get a Radio 2 session version of it, which is shite. Why? This is off a fucking chart album!

3. I love rock'n'roll -- Joan Jett's ultimate stomping party classic, which by some shocking oversight, I don't already own. Lots of Joan Jett songs on iTunes, but NOT THAT ONE. Why not? It's the only hit she ever had!

In the good old days of Napster / audiogalaxy / Kazaa I'd have had all those tracks within about 20 minutes. Now, what with copyright clampdowns and virus hell, you search all night with your 79p per track held out for the taking, and nobody wants it.

So far, this seems to be a new way of getting the kind of music you can buy in motorway service stations. That's not what we want.

joella

No comments: