Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Take a look around you, boy

Last night, we curled up under a blanket and started watching the awesome Our Friends in the North series on DVD, courtesy of Oxfordshire County Libraries.

One of the tracks on the soundtrack of episode 1 was Eve of Destruction by Barry McGuire, a song which hits me right in the soul. Like many protest songs, I heard it first at university, 20 years after it was written, but those were days of protest too (Thatcher, Poll Tax, student loans) and passions were high.

But it hit me even harder because I had recently followed a link to Bloggerheads: The Parting Shot (for Bush the fascist and Blair the appeaser), which uses the same song to protest about Iraq. (And very poetically -- there is something to be said for Flash animations sometimes.)

But what to do with these hit in the soul feelings? At least in the 60s people still believed in politics. I'm not so sure we do anymore.

joella

No comments: