Sunday, July 04, 2004

The restorative powers of miso and lychees

I've not been in the best of moods since I got back from Madeira. Partly work, partly household dysfunction, partly a majorly hectic week socially. This last is not a bad thing in itself, but if you have the relationship with alcohol that I do then work pressures and household dysfunction create a mental environment where moderation flies out the window. The result is that I've been either drunk or hungover for days. It's not good for the body or the soul.

It reached a peak last night with a hen do that I was kind of ambivalent about. I am kind of ambivalent about hen dos in general, and I was doubly ambivalent about this one -- nothing to do with the imminent marriage, as the couple in question seem very happy together, very much in love and very compatible. No, it was more to do with the gathering itself, which caused me some discomfort. Not sure I can go into it briefly, and not sure I want to go into it at length, but the very brief version is that I drank too much, then went on to another party and drank more.

Basically, for the third night in a row I went to bed with my contact lenses still in.

Luckily, I had nothing planned today. Well, we had a picnic invite, but it rained so it wasn't too hard to miss. I decided not to put myself in a situation where I would come up wanting. Instead, I stayed in bed all day finishing Maps for Lost Lovers, and that was the best thing I could have done.

Around 11 M brought me a cup of miso soup. It is the kind of stuff you feel could sustain life all on its own. I love it. So I began to feel that I might be normal again one day. Around 8 I got dressed and went across the road to the final social engagement of the weekend, which was wine and dessert with some neighbours. I went for the lychees. I don't think I've ever had one before except out of a tin and they were fabulous. For modern day hangover cures, look east.

I meant to avoid the wine but that turned out to be impossible. So I won't wake up tomorrow with that gorgeous feeling of sobriety after excess, but I will hopefully have enough about me to get through the day with at least a semblance of panache rather than groaning lightly and spending too much time in the loo because at least no one talks to you there.

I must remember to buy a freak flag so I can fly it.

joella

No comments: