Thursday, June 17, 2004

Stand up for your pipe bending rights

In all fairness, plumbing doesn't often get macho. At least, our plumbing class doesn't -- though this is largely down to the skill of our teacher Jonathan, who manages a rare combination of being as macho as a man can be while simultaneously having a gentle and gender-aware side. It's quite a killer.

Yesterday, we bent 22mm copper pipe. And you would not *believe* the number of 'bender' jokes that were made. Better a girl plumber than a gay plumber be. (And heaven forfend there should be a gay girl plumber... in fact I'm not sure plumbing pupils know that there really are gay girls)

I was told I had "inappropriate footwear". I did. And I had inappropriate upper body strength too -- and not in a too much of it way. But I made the most of both my footwear and my upper body, and the pipe bent, dammit.



I got a round of applause after it, and I felt it was deserved.

There's a lot of media fuss about posh plumbers at the moment but I think it is just that -- fuss. It's not a nice or an easy job. I quite like that about it, but I've always enjoyed a challenge. Plumbing S and I have already had enquiries from masters of wine and Lima residents...

joella

No comments: